Muscular dystrophy is a group of disorders characterized by a progressive loss of muscle mass and consequent loss of strength. The condition is caused by genetic mutations that interfere with the production of muscle proteins necessary to build and maintain healthy muscles. The disease is genetic, and consequently, a history of muscular dystrophy in the family increases the chance of an individual developing the disease.
Sign and symptoms
- A waddling gait
- Pain and stiffness in the muscles
- Difficulty with running and jumping
- Walking on toes
- Difficulty sitting up or standing
- Learning disabilities, such as developing speech later than usual
- Frequent falls
- Inability to walk
- A shortening of muscles and tendons, further limiting movement
- Breathing problems can become so severe that assisted breathing is necessary
- Curvature of the spine can be caused if muscles are not strong enough to support its structure
- The muscles of the heart can be weakened, leading to cardiac problems
- Difficulty swallowing – this can cause aspiration pneumonia, and a feeding tube is sometimes necessary
What we can do to reduce the sign and symptoms of this with the help of physical therapy?
Our center provide with the general and advance exercises that helps to get range of motion with stretching exercises with regards to person on the basis assessment taken by the expert therapist . Standard low-impact aerobic exercises, Breathing assistance – deep breathing exe and thoracic expansion exe. Mobility aids – canes, wheelchairs, and walkers. Braces – to avoid shorting and to protect them from developing muscle wasting. It helps to enhance the quality of life and improves the psychological state of the person as well.